17 August 2014

Android Crushing Apple Worldwide


The Android L-Developer Preview is now well underway. In the first of a new series of DevBytes, Rich Hyndman brings together a look at the new features. (Jul 18, 2014)

Worldwide Smartphone Shipments Edge Past 300 Million Units in the Second Quarter; Android and iOS Devices Account for 96% of the Global Market, According to IDC - prUS25037214"The dominant smartphone operating systems (OS), Android 84.7% and iOS 11.7%, saw their combined market share swell to 96.4% for the quarter, leaving little space for competitors. Android was the primary driver with its vendor partners shipping a total of 255.3 million Android-based smartphones in 2Q14, up 33.3% year over year. Meanwhile, iOS saw its market share decline despite posting 12.7% year-over-year shipment growth. While Android and iOS both realized gains from a year ago, the rest of the market recorded losses...."

A Fascinating Look Inside Those 1.1 Million Open-Internet Comments : All Tech Considered : NPR: ".... every emergent theme was "pro" net neutrality, or supports the idea of a level playing field for content on the Internet. The comments did include "anti" net neutrality positions. They included statements opposing the "FCC's crippling new regulations," as commenters wrote. But they came from a form letter, or template, and all comment clusters that came from templates (five separate ones in all, four of five supporting net neutrality) were collapsed into a single node. Taken with the entire body of comments sampled, there weren't enough unique or organic anti-net-neutrality comments to register on the map...."

TechStars NYC co-founder launches Spring, a brand-backed mobile marketplace - The Next Web: "David Tisch, the co-founder of TechStars NYC, today launched his new startup, Spring, an iOS-based ecommerce platform that has the support of several high-end brands. Shopping on the Spring app (US-only for now) feels like scrolling through Instagram if you only followed fashion brands, or Pinterest without all the amateur crafts. Product photos are meant to be edgy lifestyle images instead of your usual shots on a white background. At launch, Spring has over 100 brands on-board, including Warby Parker, Band of Outsiders and Hugo Boss. “The only brands we’re letting onto the platform is brands that care about the customer, brands that have a soul,” Tisch said...."

Exclusive: Ultra Violet: Google is testing a new design for Hangouts: "Given the all-encompassing redesign of various Google services, it was almost to be expected, now you can say it with any degree of certainty: Google Hangouts gets a new look...."

YouTube TVYouTube refreshes television app for set-top boxes, game consoles and smart TVs "...The refreshed interface should pop up soon -- it's available now with Xbox One, and Google plans to roll it out to other devices within the next few weeks." https://www.youtube.com/tv

Google's IPO, 10 Years Later: "On August 19, 2004, Google went public in a highly anticipated initial public offering that valued the six-year old company at what seemed to be an astronomical $23 billion, with a price-earnings ratio of 80, a mere six years after its founding. The company was already generating annualized revenue of $2.7 billion and profits of $286 million. Today, Google’s market cap is $390 billion, with annualized revenue of $64 billion and profits of $13 billion. Google’s market cap is the third highest of any U.S. company, with only Apple and Exxon Mobil being bigger. Public market buy-and-hold investors have scored a “ten-bagger”, earning a return of more than 1,000% over the decade.... "

Google Exec Violated Ethics Rules While at DARPA | News & Opinion | PCMag.com: "...The Defense Department was tipped off in 2011 by the Project on Government Oversight (POGO), which alleged that RedX received $1.75 million in contracts following Dugan's appointment to DARPA. The non-profit watchdog group also said she kept a financial stake in the company after her departure, Navy Times reported...."

Google goes DARPA"...Today Dugan is leading a cadre of big-idea special forces—called Advanced Technology and Projects group, or ATAP for short—on an even grander mission for parent Google, where the unit is slated to remain after the sale of Motorola to Lenovo is completed later this year... "

more technology news below ( @ web version--link below)



No comments:

technology news - Google News

Amazon News

Apple News

Facebook News

Google News

Microsoft News

Yahoo News

BBC News - Technology

CNET News - Business Tech

Engadget

NYT > Technology

PCWorld Latest Technology News

SAI: Silicon Alley Insider

TechCrunch

Digits

Alive in the Cloud

expri.net

expri.org